Sunday, December 5, 2010

THE FINAL DISPOSITION BLOG!

Okay, so I am jumping the gun here on this final blog business BUT I am first and foremost a college student who has a lot of work to be done!
Any who, Can dispositions be taught in the end? Well, first I think a look into what is a disposition needs to be looked at. To me, a disposition is a standpoint that one holds. It is the driving force behind something. For example, my disposition to do well in Education Psychology is to become the best teacher I can. My roommates disposition to do well in undergrad is to get into a good graduate program for Psychology. 
As you can see, there are many dispositions in life. But can dispositions be taught? Yes, I believe they can BUT I will say this, they are hard to teach because for most dispositions it is a will or want. And as we all know as future teachers, it is hard to teach DRIVE! 
While I was thinking about what write about for this final blog, I couldn't help but relate it to the book that I am reading fro the class right now. Currently, I am reading Daniel H. Pink's: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. In the book, Pink discusses the three elements of motivation which are... 

  1. Autonomy 
  2. Mastery 
  3. Purpose 


The book goes into great detail on examples that support how by letting people come to work whenever they want to and work at their own pace, actually allows them to get more work done and at better quality. 
So when with that notion addressed, some recommendations I have for enhancing the dispositions for the students and teachers is to use motivation in the right way. I would recommend to use what Pink recommends FREEDOM with SUPPORT. As a teacher, we can only do so much. We can't hold the students hands and make them take notes. We can't hold the students hearts open so that they care about their education but we can use motivation the best way we know how as teachers.


Here, I will leave you with a picture of my roommate... she studies more than anyone I know and while she doesn't need any motivation to do well in school, I hope this blog inspires others to do the same. 





A pessimist see the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill



No comments:

Post a Comment