Monday, November 29, 2010

Does resilience define teaching?


As I was visiting with friends and family over Thanksgiving break, after I would tell someone I am going to school to become a teacher, usually their first reaction had something to do with how am I going to deal with the troublemakers in my classroom? While I will admit, I find their reactions historical because it simply furthers the fact that there are several misleading stereotypes in the classroom.

Are these people assuming that my profession is defined by the hard times? Are these people assuming that of my resilience is my savior in my profession? 

I find these questions to all be intriguing! As a future teacher, I know my job is going to be hard. I know that only the strong survive but that is what makes this profession so satisfying for me. Teaching is a challenge. It's one of those professions that makes a difference. If it wasn't for teachers, there would be no doctors, astronauts, or dentists. The world would be a much different place. 

Now, I am not here to argue that teacher is the best profession there is but what I am trying to say is it matters. Teaching is a worldwide concept that thrives off resilience. Teachers need to prepare themselves down the road my taking the mindset that I have. The mindset that I have is simple... SUCK IT UP! 

Yup, that's right. SUCK IT UP. One of my TA's in college, whom I adore named Mr. Gutsche, once told me that no one loves their job completely. He also stressed that there are parts you like your job and then there are those things that you don't like about your job but no job is perfect! What he made me realize I will never forget. Even when I work in the summer as a lifeguard at a country club, I find myself complaining about the little things like how I hate cleaning up after extremely rich people but after smile politely at the members and calm down, I would remember what my teacher had told me. I would then remember that I am getting paid to sit outside all day and get the best food around. 

As you can see, teaching is a bit different than life-guarding but all jobs are same in the fact that it is what you make it. Resilience is the ability to adapt, which is so huge in teaching. No class or year is ever going to be perfect but it's how you deal with is as a teacher. It is how you mental prepare yourself for those set backs in life that separate the good teachers and the bad. 

One statistic states that 50% of teachers change professions less than three years into their career. While that seems shocking, I would love to see the comparison of this statistic to the others because while I believe 50% is high, I am sure there are higher ones. People are funny in the fact that no one likes their jobs. I can't tell you how many times I hear my parents complain about their jobs and some people just can't take it. 

But what I think we can do to help prepare teachers is install a better mindset. I think teachers are going into the classrooms with negative connotations that are effecting their ability as teachers. School districts need to emphasize how important teachers are and allow the teachers to feel like they do make a difference in the district, community, and the child's lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment