Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nobody's Perfect

Ahhh humility. One of my more experienced subjects, if I don't say so myself. My most recent experience of humiliation has to do with me wishing one of my friends happy birthday but calling her by the wrong name. Ouch. 

But humility comes in all forms. I've been humiliated through actions, words, and even test grades. Yikes. As a college student, I feel as if humiliation is added in to my tuition. Basically, humiliation is apart of the college experience and should be. 

Unfortunately for me, I don't deal with humiliation lightly. I am constantly reminded my by my father, and I quote, "No one is perfect. Everyone has their share of problems." Well, duh, dad, but didn't I ever tell you that my problems are more earth shattering than anyone else's? :)

But in reality, as much as a I hate to admit it, humiliation is all apart of life. However, again as my parents are so full of wisdom, after I am completely embarrassed and in tears, I take a step back, look at the big picture, and remember that it's how you handle yourself that makes the difference in the long run. 

For example, it is a fact that every humiliation I could described to you, I HAVE SURVIVED. Yes, despite what Dr. L might believe during some 8 o'clock morning classes when I barely look a wake, I am alive and breathing.

Teachers, like students, have to find that balance between confidence and humility. Like if you are wrong, you are wrong. Own up to your mistake and MOVE ON. I know it is hard sometimes after you mess up on a math problem or one of your students call you out on something but you will be okay. You are not God's gift to earth so I think you ego should still be okay. 

Like my father always said... No one is perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment