Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Inventiveness

How important is inventiveness?

In the 21st Century, it seems as if inventiveness is a huge aspect of our society. I will be honest and say I hate buying any kind of electronics because I know the very next day, some updated version of the product will come out and I will be left with the out dated version yet again. I believe it is a good thing that our society has become so inventive. Being inventive makes education thrive. Not only should students be inventive but the teachers should be as well. For example, teachers should constantly be looking for new ways to help students learn and never settle.

In addition to teachers being creative, teachers should encourage, teach, and reward creativity. It is important for teachers to encourage creativity because sometimes it is challenging for children to be different. It is almost important for teachers to teach creativity because it will spark creativity juices to flow in the child's brain. For example, when I was in the 3rd grade, I remember my teaching giving us directions to make the United States our of clay but those where the only directions. It was exciting to craft the country I lived in and see all the other interpretations of it.

I also feel it is imperative to reward creativity because it is so crucial to survival. The best memory I have of creativity was when my whole 4th grade class was required to participate with Invent Iowa. For this project, every student had to come up with an invention. For my project, I took my regular bike tires and painted them with glow and the dark paint to make "Glow in the Dark Tires." It was a huge hit with the judges and I remember competing in the Regional Finals. However, unfortunately I did not win but that wasn't what was important. I remember I was so excited to have used my own idea to construct something and then be rewarded for it. For this reason, I feel it is important to acknowledge creativity and support it as much as we can as teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment