Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why we reflect?

Reflection is an absolute must between students and teachers. This sort of communication relies heavily on self-thought and self-worth. I think that it is hard for teachers and students to reflect because it is not something human beings feel comfortable doing. It is hard to reflect on your own life without judgement and negatively. You are always your worst critic. Also, for some, it is scary to speak your mind or look back on your own work, and assess the situation.

Reflection is an important part of any functional relationship.

For me personally, I am a big reflector. I enjoy talking with my teachers and expressing my interest in the matter. But unfortunately, not every student cares about reflection as much as I do. Reflection must come from the heart. A student must want to reflect and want to learn how to better themselves as a learner. 
This is why some people consider reflection to be the heart of the teaching process because reflection comes from a very deep place. In order to learn something entirely, one must reflect. It is especially important for teachers to reflect in order to learn how to do the exact same thing better. Reflection is merely a tool used to add depth to learning. It enriches it and puts another element into teaching that has several benefits. 

I see the most benefits from my reflection throughout college with my professors. I believe college is very special and unique learning experience. College has a loud me to not only reflect as a student but also as a human being. Every day I am able to reflect and learn just because of the environment that I am in. 
And for this, I feel very blessed to be and have the ability to reflect. 

Stay tuned... More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment